Pre-operative Instructions for Patients Undergoing Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen, Conscious IV Sedation, or General Anesthesia
PLEASE ARRIVE ON TIME FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Call us immediately if you develop a “cold sore” on your lips or if you develop a sore throat or stuffy nose prior to surgery.
- EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: A RESPONSIBLE ADULT MUST REMAIN IN THE OFFICE WHILE YOUR SURGERY IS BEING PERFORMED. OUR INSURANCE REQUIRES YOUR ESCORT TO BE PRESENT WHILE YOU ARE HAVING YOUR PROCEDURE. UNFORTUNATELY, WE CANNOT MAKE ANY EXCEPTIONS.
- Please remember that you cannot eat or drink anything (NOT EVEN WATER) after midnight prior to surgery. If the doctor has given you medication to take one hour before surgery, make sure you take the pill with only one sip of water. IF YOU DRINK MORE THAN ONE SIP, YOUR SURGERY APPOINTMENT WILL BE RESCHEDULED, THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
- f you are having only Nitrous Oxide “Laughing Gas” type sedation and NO Medications “IV” or thru your vein, you may have a very light breakfast.
- Clothes worn to the surgical appointment must be loose fitting and comfortable. Please wear a short sleeve shirt or blouse with sleeves that can easily be pushed up to your shoulder for our blood pressure cuff and IV access. DO NOT wear a turtleneck or tight collar shirt or blouse.
- DO NOT use any moisturizing lotion of any kind on your arms the day of surgery. DO NOT wear cologne, perfume, lipstick or makeup.
- Ladies do not wear high heels, flip-flops or sandals. Gentlemen, please remember to shave the morning of surgery. Please remember not to swallow water when you brush your teeth.
- Recreational drugs must not be used 72 hours prior to surgery [including marijuana] as many of them may cause fatal cardiac arrhythmias during anesthesia. Please remove any contact lenses prior to surgery.
- Patients who have taken any drug for sedation from the doctor [the little pill that was given to you on the day of your consult] are absolutely NOT to drive to the office.
- On the surgery day, be prepared to schedule a follow-up appointment 7-10 days after your surgery date.
- A post-operative instruction sheet will be given to you on the day of surgery.
- Please be prepared and have a selection of soft food available at home, i.e. pudding, yogurt, ice cream, applesauce, pasta, mashed potatoes or scrambled eggs.
- Women please note: Some antibiotics may interfere with the effectiveness of your birth control pills. Please check with your pharmacist.